5.25.2009

monday night flashback #16

i bet you've all been desolate without the monday night flashback for the past few weeks. i'm not really sure what happened. the end of grant's second semester was really, really stressful, which is partly why he hasn't contributed an mnf for almost 2 months. i picked up the slack for a month and then i guess i just ran out of ideas. but never fear, mnf's are back. yesterday, i was in the middle of making these delicious sweet rolls and i realized what a great mnf this would make. my mom used to make these as after school treats, not everyday but fairly often and those were good days. a couple of years ago, i got the recipe off of her and now i will share it with you:
mom's sweet rolls
dough
sift together:
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup nonfat powdered milk
1 cup mashed potato flakes
1 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
add:
2 eggs
1/2 cup (one stick) butter, melted
3 1/2 cups warm water
mix together until smooth, then add:
2 tbsp instant yeast
5-7 1/2 cups of all purpose flour (add enough flour to make dough workable)
knead for 5-8 minutes and let dough rest for 5 minutes on an oiled counter. divide dough into two equal pieces. take one half and roll out into a 15x18 inch rectangle, 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.
filling
spread dough with 2 tbsp softened butter:in a blender, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar and 1-2 tbsp cinnamon, until powdery:sprinkle half onto buttered dough:roll the dough jelly-roll style (the long side):pinch edges to seal:using a long piece of thread, cut roll into 1 1/4 inch slices:now you have two options. you can place slices in greased pan. let rise 30-40 minutes and bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes. or you could place the slices on a cookies sheet and freeze. once frozen, put them into a freezer bag and leave until you want a treat. when preparing frozen sweet rolls, let them thaw and rise, then proceed the same as above. let rolls cool completely before frosting:
icing
combine:
3 tbs butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond or vanilla extract (i usually use almond)
3-4 tbsp milk or cream

6 comments:

Nama said...

These are so delicious! Thanks so sharing the recipe (and for the frozen already-made ones). I promise I won't burn them this time.

Hilary said...

MMMmmmmm. I'm definitely going to try that recipe. You've got me drooling!

Gail said...

Where were you when Jewel and I tried a Christmas morning sweet roll recipe for the first time several years ago! We could have benefitted from a step-by-step! ...And will, next time. Thanks!!

Crystal said...

I havent looked at your blog for such a long time!!!I try to get the library as much as I can but it has been hard lately! The girls are just growing up so fast!! Hope your having a good summer so far, looks like it! Miss ya!!

mckenna said...

Sounds/looks delicious!! I can't wait to try them!!

brenda said...

YUM! What a lovely flashback. Mike makes these, too, but I didn't know about powderizing the sugar. We make cream cheese frosting with a dash of lemon juice.